Monday, October 23, 2006

Robbie Video - Pre-Production Diary!

Saturday 21st October

03:22 - My phone rings and my eyes snap open (I was just resting them for a moment). It's veteran Sick Puppy Graham (who'll be camera operating): He's outside in the car with Sick Puppy producer Steve and fellow camera operator (and filmmaker in his own right) Simon. I grope my way out of bed and tell him I'll be right down. A couple of minutes later, I stagger out the front door rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Soon I'm in the car and we're off...

The plan is to scout the location at the same time of day we plan to shoot next week and do some camera tests. Graham and Simon have both brought their cameras as I want to do a two-camera shoot.

03.59 - We arrive at the location in Limehouse. It's pretty much as Steve described it to me; but seeing it under the location lighting conditions it's clear that I'm going to have to adjust my planned choreography. The footbridge is too dark, but the adjoining square is well lit with a couple of arches at either end I can use. Graham and Simon set up their cameras and I direct them to shoot a series of dry-runs for the shots I want in the finished video. I stand in for Ashvin (although my dancing skills aren't in the same league) and between us we work out what lit areas I have to work with.

04.25 - With the basic tests done, we lock up the camera equipment in the car and go for a walk around the area. It's very quiet and we don't see anyone else on the streets.

05.00 - Back to the location, and even one hour later there's still no real change in the ambient light. It won't be dawn for another two and a half hours. So the street/security lighting is all we have. That's fine for Simon's HDV camera, but Graham's more elderly DVCAM isn't happy with the low lighting conditions. We will bring a reflector for close-ups, but if possible I want to get a better B camera than Graham's.

To get an idea of length, I read through the lyrics as Simon and Graham track back with me. The first run-through doesn't work, so I alter the route and this take we get the timing right. I've got what I need so we're done here. Our two camera operators get dropped off at their homes, and Steve and I go up to Southgate.

10.00 - Ashvin (our Male Lead) comes round to Steve's house. Despite it being a religious holiday for him he's kindly agreed to come for a costume fitting this morning.

10.15 - We pick up Laura (our Female Lead) at Southgate tube station. She's also being fitted for her costume. Our appointment is for 10.30 so we should have plenty of time.

10.30 - I spoke too soon - we're currently stuck in traffic. Roadworks have reduced the road to a single lane and things are barely moving.

10.53 - We arrive at Masquerades of Barnet full of apologies for our lateness and meet the proprietor Lyn Brimson. She knows Steve but is confused as she doesn't have a record of our booking. It seems there was a mix-up and she thought our booking was for 10.30 yesterday. She says she could fit us in at noon. I check with Ashvin as I know he can't stay long. He makes a quick call and we're on for noon. In the meantime we return to Steve's where he burns a guide CD for Ashvin.

Noon(ish) - We get caught up in the traffic jam again but arrive in better time. Lyn has a real Aladdin's cave of costumes, accessories, shoes and wigs in a building behind her house.

Laura first: the theme is 80's, and I tell Lyn I want a early Madonna/Cindy Lauper look for Laura's character. Laura changes and it's almost what I pictured in my mind. The top and skirt are great, but the punkette accessories are wrong. We try out some different things until the complete look come together - black lace fingerless gloves, blonde wig, lace hair-tie, plastic earrings with Madonna style crosses around her neck. Lyn says Laura looks like Kim Wilde and she's right.

Now Ashvin's turn: I had envisaged a Miami Vice look for Ashvin, but Lyn doesn't have that available. I have a re-think and ask to see Adam Ant, and New Romantic outfits. Immediately it's clear that the Spandau Ballet/early Duran Duran style New Romantic outfit is the winner. Ashvin tries it on and when he comes out to show us he also wearing a blonde highlighted wig and a headband. It radically changes his face, and he looks good! Ashvin is clearly getting into character here and enjoying his reflection in the mirror. He remarks that there's also something quite Bollywood about this look, which I think is a good thing. We add boots to the outfit and an earring and he's ready.

We thank Lyn, and Steve organises the booking and payment details for the shoot. Soon we're off and Ashvin and Laura are on their way home. As for Steve and I, well I think a small celebratory drink is in order.

Next: I'm meeting up with Ashvin on Thursday to choreograph and rehearse the dance routine.

No comments: